Welcome to Volumio's documentation
(update September 15th 2018)
Volumio is a free and Open Source Linux Distribution, designed and fine-tuned exclusively for music playback. It runs on a variety of devices, typically small and cheap computers like the Raspberry PI, but also on low power PCs, notebooks or thin clients. By flashing (installing) Volumio on any of these platforms, it will become a headless Audiophile Music Player. Headless means that the only way to control it will be with another device - a mobile phone, computer or tablet.
This is made possible by Volumio’s UI: a web application that runs on any device with a web browser, that allows an easy and intuitive control of your playback sessions. All communications between the webapp and Volumio will happen through your home network. To learn more about Volumio, see the Discover Page or Technical Overview Page on the Volumio website and the documentation site.
This documentation is aimed to help both users and developers, any contribution is welcome to make it better.
- New to Volumio? Here's our Quick Start Guide
- See how our OTA (Over the Air) Updater works
- Volumio can accept Audio stream in multiple ways, see How to Stream Audio to Volumio
- Volumio features a plugin system to expand its functionalities, see all of them in the Volumio plugins collection forum thread
- What is an I2S DAC and why its a great solution with Raspberry PI? See it here
- Looking for changelog? Here it is
- See our FAQ Docs for the most typical issues and their solution
- Want to get help? This is how you do it
- Troubles mounting an NFS Share? See how to Mount a NFS Share
- Volumio Backend Github Repository
- Volumio UI Github Repository
- Volumio Image Builder Github Repository
- Volumio uses Websockets to receive commands, see how it works in the WebSocket API Section
- Learn how to write plugins to add new functionalities to Volumio in the Plugin Section
- Want to contribute to this guide? See the Contribute to this doc Section
- Did you know that Volumio has a command line client? Here's how to use the Command Line Client
- Help by translating Volumio to your language
This documentation is the result of a commun work from (alphabetical sorting):