Quick Start Guide
Quick start guide
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION
- Please have look here to download a version for your device and instructions to flash it : DOWNLOAD AND FLASH
- Volumio's first boot will take usually longer, up to 6 minutes if you're on a Raspberry PI 1. Therefore, be patient of first boot and wait about 5 minutes before starting to use Volumio.
- The first time Volumio starts, it will perform some operations:
- Extend the filesystem to fill completely your SD Card\ Hard drive
- Regenerate SSH keys, to make them unique to your device
- Install some packages and configure the system
- Generate new thumbnails for the default backgrounds
- Volumio works best when its connected to your Network, since it's meant to be used in an headless state: no monitor connected, and controlled via another device (PC, smartphone, tablet etc)
- To connect Volumio to your network, simply attach an ethernet cable to it before starting it up
- If no ethernet is available, you can connect to its hotstpot (see below) and connect to your Wi-fi Network. To do so, go to settings -> Network and connect it from there
- IMPORTANT Do not configure your network manually via SSH, this can lead to issues and malfunctions
- If your device has wireless capabilities (and a supported Wireless card) Volumio will create a Wireless Network called Volumio, the default password is volumio2
- The Hotspot mode will allow you to connect to your Wireless Network without the need for a wired connection, just connect to Volumio Hotspot and configure your network on network options
- Once your Wireless network has been configured, the Hotspot will no longer be visible
- If, for whatever reason, your configured Wireless network is not available, Volumio will automatically re-enable the Hotspot
- You can change the Hotspot options in the Network options, such as its name, password and channel (useful if you experience poor Hotspot performances)
- Once in Hotspot Mode, Volumio can be reached with IP 192.168.211.1 or via http://volumio.local as usual
CONTROL VOLUMIO WITH THE OFFICIAL APPS
- The most convenient way to control your Volumio system is through the official apps. The advantage is that they will automatically find your Volumio device on your Network. Not to mention that by getting the apps, you will help the project with a little contribution.
- The UI can be accessed from any device with a browser: Tablets, PC, Mac, Android Phones, iPhones, Smart TVs, Ebook readers etc. Make sure you have the latest versions of their respective browsers. For an optimal experience, Google Chrome is suggested.
- The UI can be accessed by typing Volumio's IP address in your browser. To find the IP address you can use:
- Volumio UI can also be accessed by typing http://volumio.local, or if you renamed your Volumio device http://VOLUMIONAME.local .
- Please note that this function is not available on Android devices, just on Mac and iOs or in Windows (if that does not work, install Bonjour )
WEBUI ON HDMI DISPLAY OR RASPBERRY PI OFFICIAL TOUCH DISPLAY
- Volumio will show its UI on any attached HDMI display ONLY on X86 Platform. On any other platform this feature is not enabled by default (for performance concerns): once Volumio has finished booting you will see a login prompt, which is absolutely fine.
- This feature can however be easily achieved on those platforms as well (Raspberry PI, UDOO, Odroid, Pine64 ecc) by installing the "Touchscreen plugin"
- To install it, navigate to "Plugins" menu entry, click on "Miscellanea" category and install the Touchscreen Plugin. On some devices this might take up to 10 minutes.
- After the plugin has successfully installed, enable it and you will see the UI on the HDMI connected display (or the official Rasperry PI display, if present)
FIRST CONNECTION TO THE WEBUI
Once the sytem is on and you connected to it through your network or via the hotspot, you reach Volumio's webUI. The first time, an helper is assisting you to configure Volumio. Don't worry if you missed it, you can still configure it later !
The helper first screen : Choose your LANGUAGE
- The helper second screen : Choose the NAME for your device
- The helper third screen : Configure your DAC
- The helper fourth screen : Configure your NETWORK
- The helper fifth screen with a configured NAS drive
- The helper sixth screen : Don't forget to donate ! It will help Volumio to be improved !
- Once it is done, you should have a working system,ready to play music! Let's discover it !